Expedition Sico River (3 days)
The Sico River offers an excellent opportunity to enjoy in just four days a beautiful wilderness area with paradisiacal landscapes, and class III and IV rapids. On the land route we will observe the lifestyle of peasants and remote cowboy towns such as San Esteban, Olancho. Every day we will camp in different places and prepare our food with firewood. It is easy to see iguanas and crocodiles on the banks of the river and many birds such as toucans, rangers, trogons, flycatchers, falcons, hawks and many others.
Day 1: Transfer by bus or pick up from La Ceiba to the embarkation site near San Esteban, Olancho (4 hrs). Preparation of the equipment before lunch and then continue paddling for two hours to the camp on the river bank. This is a remote area with few towns. We will spend the night on the river beach in a tent and a social area covered with a tent (awning). Every day we will set up camp, latrine and collect firewood. Breakfast and hot barbecue dinner. Cold lunch on Route.
Day 2: Full day of Rafting with break for lunch. Many class III rapids and some IV. Contact with farmers and ranchers. We row approximately 6 hours with a break for lunch. Overnight in tents. Breakfast and hot barbecue dinner. Cold lunch on Route.
Day 3: Half day of Rafting in class II and III rapids until we reach La Pedrera Village or Paso Real where our Pick Up will pick us up for the transfer to La Ceiba (2.5 hrs). Overnight in La Ceiba not included.
The Services include:
- Transportation La Ceiba – San Esteban – La Ceiba
- First aid and rescue equipment, cell or satellite phone
- Accommodation in a tent, thermarest mats, water treatment
- Meals from Breakfast on day 1 to Lunch on day 3.
- Bilingual naturalist guide (lead guide 8 years minimum experience)
- Each raft carries a guide and from 2 participants to 4 participants.
- Personal items (soap, toothpaste, etc)
- Boots or sneakers with ankle protection for hiking.
- Light pillow (optional)
- Paddling gloves
- Repellent (apply to skin, shoes and clothing during walks against chiggers and ticks. We recommend Permethryn applied to clothing the day before for added protection. Check with your outdoor store.
- Blocker (Apply constantly by reflection of the sun in the H2O)
- Antifungal talc apply it every night on the foot.
- Flashlight, bulb and extra batteries.
- Camera (protect it against water)
- Caps, hats and/or scarves
- Personal meals (snacks)
- Dry bags, plastic bags or ziplocks to pack personal items against water.
- Binoculars, tropical bird guide (if you are a bird watcher) and other guides according to your taste.
- Bottle or canteen to refill purified water
- Personal water filter (optional)
- Prophylactic medicine against malaria and vaccines against tetanus, typhoid, and other tropical diseases (ask your doctor)
- Personal Medicines
- Personal meals (snacks)
- Travel, evacuation, illness and accident insurance
- Free insurance 504 assist.com For participants arriving by plane Please register online to obtain the benefit of the insurance.
- Signature of Release or Waiver at the beginning (release of responsibility)